Most of the "Best Practices" are also followed by in-house agile development team.
- Technical Communication
- Version Control, Document Management, and Distribution
- Build and Test Management
- Project Management
- Knowledge Management
I can't agree more that open source products have achieved a remarkable degree of quality with very low cost because of the following reason.
- Developers are self-selected by their interest and knowledge of the application domain.
- Requirements are tacitly understood by developers who are themselves users of the software.
- Technical communications (including bug reports) are conducted in public. The public nature of open source helps developers take pride in their successes and think twice before releasing faulty code.